ATV Repair Guide - How to Save Money When Your ATV Needs Repairs.
So you're thinking about saving a buck or two by attempting a little
ATV repair work on your own? Just not quite sure which repairs to try
and how to go about it? We'll pass on a few tips here.
My advice is different than most. I won't tell you to jump in and try
to fix everything yourself. Our goal here is to save money and you
won't do that by screwing something up.
I think the best strategy is to do what you're comfortable with and let
the pros handle everything else. There are a few ways to save a buck
when you have to go to the shop and we'll cover those below.
Top Money Saving ATV Repair Tips
- First off you'll need a manual. Find out which ones are best at ATV Service Manuals here. Covers the top three manuals and shows you where to find the best deals.
- For more super deals, go to ATV Repair Manuals. Listings are separated by make for easy look up. New, used, CD, and DVD manuals are all listed.
How exactly will ATV repair manuals save you money? If you
have had your ATV in the shop lately, you know how much repairs cost
today. There are a lot of service and repair jobs you could do
yourself with a good atv service manual and some basic tools.
- Do a good job of maintaining your ATV so you can avoid
unnecessary repairs. The best way to save money is not to have to do
the repairs at all! Save money by doing most of the common maintenance
- Keep the ATV as clean as possible. Don't let mud dry on
it. But be careful with power washers - they can do more harm than
good if you go crazy with one. It's easy to force mud into wheel
bearings, steering stems, suspension pivots, etc. if you're not
- If you do have to take the ATV to the shop, make sure
you wash it before you go. The hourly shop rate is the same if they're
washing your quad or fixing your engine! You can't believe how many
people drop off dirty ATVs and never think about the $65 hourly shop
- Remove parts yourself and take them to the shop instead
of the whole ATV. Need an ATV tire repair? Don't pay the shop to take
the wheel off - do it yourself. You get the idea.
- Don't abuse your ride! If you don't tear it up - it won't need to be fixed! Really watch it around rocks, deep water, and mud.
- Don't put repairs off until later. It only gets worse. Do it now before something else breaks.
- Don't attempt jobs beyond your capability. That varies a
lot for all of us. But basically don't try to do things like adjust
the valves if you really don't know what you're doing. A lot of
expensive damage may be the end result!
- Learn how to do more complicated jobs by hanging out
with people who do know. Watch, listen, and learn. Most folks are
willing to help someone who's sincere about learning.
- Use good quality parts. There's nothing worse than
spending time and money on an ATV repair and then having a failure
caused by a poor quality part.
Even More Four Wheeler Repair Tips
Need to fix an Arctic Cat? An Arctic Cat ATV Manual
can save you big bucks. A manual costs less than 1 hour of shop labor.
So do one little job and the manual more than paid for itself!
Having trouble finding a Bombardier ATV Service Manual?
We'll show you where to look and get the best deal. Now that shop
labor will take a big bite out of a $100 bill every hour - it won't
take long to come out way ahead with a service manual and a little
A Honda ATV Repair Manual
is a must have for repairing and maintaining your Honda 4 wheeler.
Follow our recommendations for the best deal on the best manuals.
Don't miss our section on ATV Parts
for the best sources and best deals on any parts you might need. Don't
forget the key to making good ATV repairs is to use good quality parts.
If you want to upgrade a few things while you have the wrenches out, check out our ATV Accessories articles for a few good ideas, and of course the best deals going.
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.